Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, September 17, 2007

Breaking out of cabin fever

I think I know how moms who live up north must feel each spring. "WE can get out of the house!" I hear them cry each March with the anticipation of a child at Christmas! And each time, I think to myself "Wow, am I glad we don't have those winters. I would hate to be cooped in like that."

But I realized something these past months. Down here in Houston, we may not have the winters, but we have the summers. Our summers where it is either downpouring rain, hot and humid to the point of misery, and mosquitoes that seem to think they own the place (Wait a minute, they do!). We spend the vast part of June, July, and August trying to figure out the best time to let the kiddos get a little fresh air. Early morning, would you believe that is usually the muggiest time! Afternoon, hot, Hot, HOT! Evening, finally, oh! Hello mosquitoes! And just as you feel a change in the air, here comes the rain! Our only saving feature is the abundance of swimming pools!

But September hits. A cool front pushes in dry weather that zaps the humidity out of the air. The mornings have a very fall-esque breeze to them. And the afternoons only top out at 90 (or even 88, if we are lucky!).

Yep, I love these fall days. It's finally time to break out of our own cabin fever. It is finally time to go out and play!

6 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

I know how you feel!!! I sure hope this wonderful weather lasts! As you know, the bad part about being in Houston is that summer-like weather can carry well into October. There are even hot days in November! But as long as the humidity is down and the mosquitoes are few - I'm okay with it a little warm out! :)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Wasn't it glorious. People who have real falls would be laughing at us right now. But I'll take 87 over 97. And the humidity at 48%? Aaaaah! This is living.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I spent some time in El Paso when I was student teaching. I went in January and stayed a few months. I had to laugh because one day everyone thought it was SO cold and the parents demanded we keep the kids in for recess. I just about laughed. I'm not even sure I wore a coat! (Growing up in Minnesota is definately a different experience than Texas!)

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Mom of boys said...

How funny, Jill! The first year we lived here, I laughed at those who shivered and bundled in heavy coats when the temps hit 50. Now that I have adapted, I am afraid that I can no longer handle the cold either!

We can be such wimps here in Texas! :)

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger nutmeg said...

Yes, I am loving these temps!

:)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

Okay, I can tell that I lived in Houston for too long. When the people here in Ohio say it is hot and humid and refuse to go outdoors, and I sit out watching the kids play for several hours in the what is supposed to be hot and humid. And mosquitoes?? What are they?? Haven't seen one in a year and a half now!

I'm glad you guys are getting some cooler weather. But could you send us some of your rain? We have crispy brown grass, and it has only rained one day this whole summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home