Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Our Charlotte Masony Week

I love it Celeste - Charlotte Masony! And since you asked below in the comments, "just what are we doing?", here it is:

I have taken much verbatim from Elizabeth Foss's wonderful, fabulous book. It integrates the learning with the living, which is exactly what I want. I want them to live and learn simultaneously, and ideally love every minute of it. I want the boys to explore creative outlets and not get bogged down in workbooks.

So step one was I dropped all of our Phonics workbooks for the week. MCP Phonics, Beyond the Code, English for the Thoughtful Child (not because it was a workbook, but because it was really over Brennan's head - it is a second grade book after all!). For Phonics I have taken the "Name Game" word families from off of the back of the Little Stories for Little Folks readers and I use it to write three word families on the board. Brennan reads those each day, and then reads a easy reader of his choice. He has picked "Pizza Pat" this week. We "rabbit trailed" off of it this morning to make our own pizza crust for lunch. You should have seen Brennan flipping dough in the air. No, I don't have pictures (camera is still lost!). This means no more of the actual Little Stories Readers (Brennan never liked them). He prefers Dr. Seuss or Arnold Lobel books at the moment. I hope to introduce him to Syd Hoff on our next library visit.

Step 2 was to take the spelling lists and condense the activities. So each week we will practice one of the spelling games from the back of Spelling Power with the weekly words. We will not (for now) do all of the specific studying and testing of these words. The only main part of the program I am keeping is the idea of placing the words in a Spelling Dictionary (write them on a page with the starting letter at the top).

Step 3 was Math. And I kept the workbook here. I did drop all of the extra practice pages, and I have turned the flashcards into a game - if he knows the fact he can "keep" the card. After five minutes, we see how many cards he has kept. We record his score and try to beat it each day. This he loves, and he has not complained once about this workbook - his one and only!

Step 4, History, already was devised in the spirit of Charlotte Mason. So is Science. No problems here! They were already Brennan's favorite subjects (could it be the approach?).

Everything else: For rounding out Language Arts, I have him orally narrate the daily story to me. And Religion, well, he has loved the Mater Amabilis plan for Religion, so we are sticking to it! We have studying paintings by Raphael this week (that's what we did for tea time - discussed a painting. For 30 minutes! I was impressed). We have also sketched a copy of one painting, as well as done a lesson in Draw Write Now (Brennan's handwriting too). Tomorrow is the Art with a Purpose Lesson. Music has been Beethoven this week. And we have been listening to Lesson One of Learning Spanish with Grace. Brennan now greets his Dad each night with "Buenos Dias", all on his own will.

Speaking of tea time - the china was a hit! Even Philip, my dear two year old was ever so careful. We set a full table, which they also enjoyed immensely!

As for me, I have LOVED this week. And Brennan has not complained once about school. Even more noticeably, the TV has been off all week, and Brennan has not asked once for it to be on. We have most likely killed a small forest in paper, but the creativity has been such a blessing. Best of all is that my energetic (shall we say hyper) boys have done so well that we are all in great spirits.

As my trial week has been so successful, I want to keep this program in place. Yet I still have this nagging fear that Brennan will fall behind his peers if I do.

As for next week's plans, we will be having another Charlotte Masony week. One more won't hurt!

2 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

GOOD JOB MICHELE!! I love what you are doing. Brennan already sounds like he is way ahead of the game in soooo many areas. I love that your boys did great with tea time, and I love the willingness to experiment with different modes of teaching. You are such a great mother!!

Keep giving the updates. I so love reading what others have been up to. Especially when I can "borrow" those ideas.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

I too love the updates. I get so many of my ideas and encouragement from all of you and others.

I love everything you did! So creative (we already knew you were) and it seems like one more week will definitely be a good thing. I am always hoping ours can get more and more Charlotte Masony. Jacob doesnt mind the workbooks, but I love the rabbit trails. For instance we are doing a family tree. He has also been loving a book about Rocks and Minerals. He loves the birthstone part. As a rabbit trail, I thought he would really enjoy adding a picture of everyones birthstone.

Have a wonderful week. See you Friday. Hey, if you remember could you bring the timeline thing on Friday. I will pay you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home