Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm Learning

I have had one of those epiphany moments. Now I have long realized that Brennan was not a workbook kind of guy, but it is hitting me more clearly as of late. I have tried to minimize workbooks and throw in lots of hands-on, book reading activties. And I felt like I was providing a good balance of both necessities in my child's life.

But two things happened recently. One was this horrible week. The other was this wonderful book. I was beginning to wonder if I was merely recreating "school" at home. The very environment that I was trying to avoid. The one that I, as a child, found stifling and suffocating. The one where, as I myself taught, I saw kids trying to swim upstream against the currents of modern educational philosophy. The one that I knew (rightfully so) that my energetic 6 year old would sink in. He hated "doing school". And so I equated that with "hating work, learning".

But not so. Because this week, he has brought to me the new "history" book for the week. He has been caught reading it to himself. He has told everyone about not only the Hopi Indians, but how they were different from the Eskimos and the Northwest Indians and why. He spent 3 hours putting this together yesterday afternoon while willingly skipping the video that his brothers were watching.

My dear child doesn't hate learning. he hates "doing school".

I don't know where this will lead. I do want him to learn that we sometimes have to do those things that are not necessarily fun. And my own public school experience (although I hated parts of it) has engrained in me the sense that we must do some workbooks (mostly Math, Grammar, Phonics). But maybe learning isn't the place to teach lessons on responsibility - that's what his chores are for. And maybe workbooks aren't necessary. To be honest, I am not sure if he has learned his Phonics from the workbook, or the word famlies that are written on the board before each story. Now that I think about it, it just may be the latter.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. I am just pondering out any thoughts I currently have and trying to figure out what to do with this newfound insight. Suggestions are always welcome!

4 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I too read Real Learning over my summer, and The Well-Trained Mind. Both of which I loved.

I know that Nicholas is likely to be very much like Brennan, but maybe he will surprise me.

Katie is easy. She doesn't mind the workbooks as long as we keep it varied from workbook to hands-on and stories. She actually likes many of the science and history workbook pages. Math which she is good at is harder to get her to do, but I finally came to the conclusion that she didn't really need to practice adding with a number line 800 times, and I would cross out repetitive exercises. She loved the big x's through things.

We are trying First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise this year, which is a very oral language program, with poem memorization, and narration exercises. I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't think you can ever get away with the math workbook, but you can definately make sure you keep using lots of manipulatives. Even food manipulatives, like 5 cheerios take away (eat) 2 is?

I pray things go well for you, since I have a feeling I will be looking for some good advice as Nicholas gets older.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

It was so good to talk to you today! I am so glad that God keeps giving us daily chances to figure these things out. You are a great mom and a great teacher!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

It's great that you are picking up on his learning style. That is really what I love about homeschooling. We can cater to our children's way of learning. I agree with Kris - I don't think there is a way around some workbooks, especially when it comes to math. But you can definitely put in as many hands-on activities and book reading as possible to keep it fun and keep him motivated. I imagine if he knew he was going to get to do something fun once he finished his workbook pages, he'd be more willing to do them. Of course, I guess then you run into the problem of him rushing through it and not learning from it (what I worry happens with Alex).

It will be fine and I think you are doing a fantastic job - and that Hopi village is wonderful!!!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I agree that the math workbook can't disappear, but I think you can safely do away with the others with proper substitute.

As for math, which can be overwhelming for any kid, I suggest having him do one section or just 3 or 4 problems before switching to another subject. Then have him do another section, and switch again. Breaking it up has helped my boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home