Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Mulligan

We officially started our school year last week. It would be better stated to say we attempted to start our school year last week. Each day was trying, and I was so ready to start that I had not anticipated it.

Monday, Brennan discovered that there is a little more work in first grade than kindergarten. If you had listened to him, you would have thought that I had doubled, no tripled his work load. In reality, I only added a little history, 5 minute spelling (which he didn't complain about that anyway), and a little grammar. Maybe we will drop the grammar, but I want to give it a few more weeks to see if it is the subject or the student that is the issue. I suspect it might be the student. The one who asked me what he had to do in order to get to do kindergarten again.

Tuesday, I was sick. Really, really sick. Like a staph infection that swelled my entire arm. I spent the entire morning and a few hours in the evening at the doctor's office. The rest of the day I was in bed. I didn't even attempt any lessons on this day.

Wednesday we found out a brother's children were in town. We got together that afternoon (so that I would have been on antibiotics for 24 hours before we met). We ended up enjoying the time together, so only a half day Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday were feeble attempts to get back to it. There was so much laziness in the air (including me) that I daresay we accomplished little those two days (about half of what I had planned). Most of this was due to some serious headbutting with a strong willed 5 year old coupled with more complaining from the new first grader. I feel incredibly guilty about this. In fact, Friday, I was seriously considering backing out altogether and enrolling them in school next week. Only for a moment, but for that moment I was really ready to do it!

Now I feel better. We are all rested. The house is clean. We are ready for a do over. Here's hoping that the second time is the charm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home