Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Block Party

We have lived in this house for almost nine years. While we know a few neighbors (like our immediate ones and the two at the end who belong to our church) pretty well, we didn't really know the others in our 18 house cul-de-sac. So when my ever ambitious neighbor across the street wanted to have a block party for "National Night Out" I was enthusiastic. I always want to meet people, but I am crippled by fear. Fear that if I talk to them, they will be thinking "Who is this person, and why on earth is she bugging me?" So I don't say anything. Pretty cowardly, huh!

I hoped others would attend, but it was even better than I could have hoped. 16 of our 18 houses attended and we all shared a potluck dinner and visited for 3 hours. Kids bounced on a moonwalk one neighbor rented, had a water balloon toss that we provided balloons for, and loved visiting with the firefighters who stopped by (complete with truck and gear - our neighbor is a volunteer firefighter). We have the nicest neighbors! Everyone was very hospitable, and agreed that we should all do these things more often.

One thing that struck me is that it wasn't just those with small kids wanting to know the neighbors. It was also the families with teens. It was the three couples whose kids are all grown. It was the elderly lady who we all found out was recently widowed. It was even two young couples who don't even have children yet. We all need community. We can all be there to help one another. Too often we all get absorbed in our own busy lives. One man summed it up best by telling me "It is just too easy any more to pull right into the garage and enter the house without saying a word to anyone. We need to change that - we need other people."

I couldn't agree more!

3 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a lovely post. We all need more community! I must say that when we lived in Texas we found it easier than anywhere else to make friends. Them Texans is friendly y'all. I wish we still lived there!
I have enjoyed my visit to your blog. I'll be back to visit.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I couldn't agree more. It wasn't until we moved to our new neighborhood here in the outskirts of Cincinnati, that we found what a neighborhood is really like.

Unlike you, we have the benefit of large yards and no fences. It makes it hard not to meet your neighbors. And what a difference it makes. Knowing the people around you are there for the last minute "cup of sugar" or sitting outside for a long gab session watching the kids run and play.

This is what I remembered from childhood, and I am so glad my kids and yours are getting to know the world isn't all scary!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Lots of people have enjoyed National Night Out it seems. We didn't have it in our neighborhood. But, thankfully, we have a neighborhood like crafty mom mentioned. No fences, a lot of community. One of our neighbors built a playground and told the whole neighborhood they could use it whenever they wanted. Many evenings there is a load of people from the surrounding houses gathered in his yard. We are lucky, and it will be a big thing to let go of if we ever move.
But, enough about me. I think I will have to write my own post on this topic.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'm glad you had a great night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home