Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Other Side

Part of the reason that I seriously considered enrolling my 6 year old in "real" school last week is because lately he has been begging to go. As he complains about his work at home each day, he asks "when will I get to go to the other school" (referring to our neighborhood school down a few blocks). It was bothering me that he wanted to go so badly - maybe we were really depriving him by not letting him attend?

Then today we had a little heart to heart. As he asked to go to the other school (for the 4th time in two days), I put our books down and looked him in the eye.

"Honey, why do you want to go to the other school."

His response revealed a lot. "Because I want to play with my friends all day and I don't want to do any more Math or Phonics."

I sighed, relieved. So this is really a case of "the grass must be greener on the other side." Needless to say, this made me feel a lot better about keeping him home. And I tried to explain to him how they do the exact same subjects at school, and although his friends would be there, he wouldn't be allowed to talk and play all day long. I am not sure if he got it. He is just so sure that it must be more fun and less work there. He is sure that grass is greener.

As I laugh, I remind myself how I can be the same way. I am so convinced that everything would be so much better, so much easier if we had a little bigger house, a little more income, a little more free time (in my day). What I fail to see is that many of those around me who have these things that I long for still struggle with the same areas that my family does. No matter how much room you have, you always seem to clamour for more. No matter how much money you bring in, it can all seem to get spent too easily. And I am the master of wasting time and procrastinating.

I must also remember that the grass is not always greener. I must be content with what I have now. Only when we are satisfied with that which we have been blessed will we truly be happy. And I must let go of all of the pitfalls that seem to pop up each day (in groups lately).

Something for both Brennan and I to work on together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home