Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Our Christmas Nutcracker

The very first Christmas decoration is in place at our house, and it is not the Advent wreath as is usually the case. It is our new Christmas Nutcracker, per request of Brennan. It is the one thing that he has been asking for the past few months as he sensed Christmas drawing closer. Now this special request has a little history that makes it special to us, so let me fill you in.

It has been noted on many occasions that Brennan is a mini-me of my husband. He looks just like him, acts just like him, even has the same tastes as him in all things. I am told that many years ago, my inlaws went to Europe and asked my husband and his sister what they would like them to bring back. My husband's one request - a nutcracker. They brought him back a nice nutcracker from either Germany or Austria (I forget). It was a hunter, so it was not really considered a Christmas nutcracker. Each year my mother in law would want to put it out for Christmas, but my husband was quick to remind her "no, it is not a Christmas one." (my husband is ever the stickler for this sort of thing, even to this day!).

Fast forward through the years, and our little Brennan fell in love with Dad's nutcracker, which stays on what we call our international shelf (a shelf in the family room holding goodies from around the world). Brennan also has become familiar with The Nutcracker ballet at Christmastime. The last two Christmas seasons, Brennan has asked if we could put Dad's nutcracker down on the fireplace mantle for Christmas. And he has been answered each time, as you might guess, "no, it is not a Christmas nutcracker".

So this year Brennan had one simple request "Can we get a Christmas nutcracker?". While I was out shopping the day after Thanksgiving, I found some nice Christmas nutcrackers at a good price, so I brought one home for Brennan. He has been absolutely giddy over it! And so today, Brennan placed our new Christmas nutcracker on our mantle for the very first time. Each time that I have walked past it this morning, it has made me think of Brennan and how much he is like his Dad. It makes me realize how much I love them both. And I send up a little prayer that Brennan may someday grow into just the kind of man that his father is.

When Colin and I were engaged, I told his mother I hoped we would have a little boy just like Colin was as he sounded like such a special little guy! God answered my prayer, and he is even more special than I could have ever imagined!

3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Nicole is very attached to her new Nutcracker. I think it would be fun to add one each year!

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband has a small, hunter nutcracker that he also insists is NOT a Christmas nutcracker and is not included in THOSE decorations. I did happen to get a Christmas nutcracker last year. It's still packed up, but the kids have already told me exactly where they think it should go in our new house.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home