Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Getting to Know Me and my Christmas Spirit

Tagged by Celeste

Oh boy! This is a fun one for me because, well, Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year! Here goes! (Oh and I guess I will tag Kris and Michelle if you guys want to play!)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

BOTH! A good hot chocolate or peppermint mocha in the morning, and the egg nog after dinner. Yum!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa's presents are always wrapped in different papers than the family presents, and he fills the stockings too!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

Colored on the house, and white on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Not in the past, but I have been thinking about doing that this year!

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Sometime during the week after Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Tough call! I loved my Dad's breakfast tacos as a child, but our own almond coffee cake is giving them a run for their money!

7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child.

We always opened gifts on Christmas morning, never Christmas Eve. But one year my Mom (a nurse) had to be at work at 5:30 am and work until dinnertime. We were told that we would have to wait until Mom got off work that night, and were disappointed to say the least! (We were pretty young!) We went to Grandmas Christmas Eve evening and then went straight to 11:00pm Church. As we came home and started to our beds rather bleary eyed, we stopped as we passed the tree - Santa had come early! We got to stay up and open presents that night (well actually it was Christmas morning, just 12:30 AM!). Bless my poor Mom, who went to work without much sleep! I can truly appreciate that fact today!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I was 9 and my YOUNGER brother told me! How messed up is that!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

No, except for that one year mentioned above!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

The boys help organize the branches by size (there are different colored tabs for each size, so this is easy for them!). Then they help hang them in their spot on the tree, while I direct. I hang the lights, and then everyone hangs their own ornaments. Our tree is full of superhero and action figure ornaments, and then my Snoopy ones! We have topped it with a gold bow since I never found a star I liked.

11. Snow!

I wish! It is one of the few things I miss living in Houston!

12. Can you ice skate?

Yes. First time was at an outdoor rink in downtown Denver.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Probably my stereo, because that year I had asked for several things that were shot down - A telephone (in my room), a TV (in my room) - I was a teen. So I didn't even bother with the next item I wanted - a stereo - figuring it would be quickly shot down too! Yet lo and behold, there it was Christmas morning and without even mentioning it! When I told my Mom that I wanted one, but thought they would quickly say no again, she just replied "a stereo is much different!". I had very wise parents!

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

I attempt to keep proper perspective on the season! I admit that it is hard, as I do so love EVERYTHING that comes with the season (well, everything except crowded stores!). But I want the boys to know that this is Jesus's bday and all of the other stuff is the bonus part - like favors and games for attending the party!

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Grandma's German Chocolate cake!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

I do so love it all - Our Jesse Tree prayer each night, the shopping, baking, parties, carols, lights, decorating, crafts. But Christmas Eve Midnight Mass is my favorite - hands down! It was Midnight Mass in December 1993 that began my path to the Catholic Church - perhaps I will tell that story some other time this season!

17. What tops your tree?

The afore mentioned gold bow.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?

Giving - I really truly don't care if I get anything or not, I just love the atmosphere surrounding the season. That is my gift!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

No question - "O Holy Night"! And now I am singing it!

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy?

Yummy.

21. Fave Christmas Movie?

It's a Wonderful Life - I am a sucker for these old movies!

ENJOY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home