Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trick or Treating Economics

If you ever went trick or treating (or at least went to a fair which left you with a decent sized candy stash), did you Dad ever help himself to it? My Dad did, so it was no surprise when Colin began to help himself to our own boys' candy each Halloween. But what I love is that Colin never misses out on a teachable moment.

In our house, the boys get a complete lesson in political economics. As Dad raids each Halloween bucket, he responds to each protest with a reasonable explanation - this is his tax that he must levy against the boys, much like the government taxes Dad's paycheck. Sure the boys do the leg work for the candy, but dear Dad provides security and support during the walk. His income provides the overhead that makes the costumes possible. He examines the treats once we arrive back at the house (quality control). Without Dad, the opportunity to earn that candy is impossible, and so he deserves a cut of the profits.

Of course, the boys begin to look at him like he is nuts at this point. I just laugh. After all, he does make a good point. Besides, my Dad never offered up that good of an explanation!

4 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

A few years ago I started dumping ALL the candy in one big bucket for everyone (including parents) to share. The oldest ones who would be most likely to complain don't seem to mind, especially since Fritz's braces prevent him from eating all the chewy stuff.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

My dad always checked out our loot too, but I was the polite sharer in the family so his eating never bothered me. But I always found it funny, how excited a father could get about the array of candy before him. It also helped that most of his favorites were things I didn't like.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Teachable moments are everywhere! ;)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

What a great little lesson for the boys! :)

Like Michelle, we always put all of the kids' candy into one bag and just let them pick from it when they want a piece of candy. They've never asked where their particular bag of candy is - I think they are too anxious to eat the candy to worry about where it's coming from!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home