Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

In the Moment

Last night we attended an Astros game with my brother's family. We had a blast! I grew up attending many a Texas Rangers game, and we always had fun with the many antics present at a Major League Baseball event. For those who have never been, let me just tell you that the powers that be have invented several colorful ways to fill in the rather *ahem* SLOW parts of the game. This was actually the first game that Philip and Jonathan had been too, and really the first that Nicholas remembered. Brennan did have vague recollections of the last one we were at a couple of years ago.

The game was great, but the very best was the surprise fireworks show over downtown Houston after the game. We had no idea that they were planning it until the announcement after the game (which was a first time shut out for a young Astros pitcher - quite exciting!). The fireworks against the nighttime skyline were awesome!

The only down side was Brennan spending the entire show asking if we were going home yet. I was a little surprised - after all, he really seemed to be having a good time. "Maybe he is just tired" I thought to myself. So I just encouraged him to hang in there. I even thought I would seize the moment to impart some words of wisdom. I whispered in his ear "Sometimes we need to not hurry to the next thing and just sit back to enjoy a nice moment together.". He gave me a funny look, and just sat there, with a face that I assumed was pouting. This continued on until the end of the show, some 20 or 30 minutes.

After the show ended, I asked Brennan if he enjoyed it. "Yes, but are we going home now?" he asked? I replied in the affirmative. To that Brennan responded "Good, because I have to go to the bathroom.". I felt terrible! Here was my poor child, needing to use the restroom, and I am busy patting myself on the back for supposedly grasping a teachable moment. I asked him why he said he wanted to go home if he just needed to go to the bathroom. Blank stare.

My personal lesson - when I think that I am a horrible parent, I am likely not as bad as I think. However when I think that I am being a great parent, maybe I should recheck the situation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home