Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

I've become such a wimp!

When my husband and I married and moved to Houston, the climate was much different than either of us was used to. In Oklahoma we had hot, but the Houston summer was just so humid!

Then a few months later, we experienced our first tropical storm (Francis - 1998). When I heard it was coming, I thought "oh, a thunderstorm, okay". I had NO IDEA what it was like, having never experienced flooding at all. Thank goodness my principal called me that morning and told me not to bother coming to work that day - I was going to but she wisely talked me out of it. I spent the day marveling at just how much rain could fall with such force for so long.

Yet as winter arrived, my husband and I reveled in the mild weather and even dared miss the snow and ice that we would get in northern Oklahoma. I, the one who wore shorts proudly when it was 40 degrees, laughed at all of these southern folks in heavy coats as soon as the temperature dipped below 60.

8 years later, the joke is on me! This morning, we woke up to 50 degrees. After lessons, the boys prepared to go outside and I opened the door. That cold air (or shall I say cool for all of you up north) hit and I immediately ushered everyone into the front hall to get coats and hats. As they went outside all bundled I looked at the thermostat - 54 degrees. And I had to laugh, for I, the queen of cold weather, had officially become a southern Texas wimp!

3 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think having children changes our perspective on cold. We now have to look out for the well-being of someone smaller. I woke up to 28 this morning outside. Luckily my toasty heater works great and inside we are a balmy 68. I still go out without a coat most days though.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Now you're one of us true "southern" girls". :))

Snow would be nice, I admit, having lived here ALL my life. But I think I'd be even wimpier with all that snow and shoveling and bundling up little people. I take that back - a fruitcake of a woman would be more lie it!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Kris!!!!!!

28 already!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my gosh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home