Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Cheerful Servant

Being World Missions Sunday, the visiting priest was talking about the importance of missions this evening at Mass. He also challenged everyone to think about what we do each day to serve others and not just ourselves. As I was about to half-heartedly dismiss this with "Hey! I'm a Mom! I spend ALL DAY serving others in lieu of myself!" God allowed the following thought to spring up in my mind - "Yeah, but do you serve cheerfully?". Whoa!

As I thought about this, I realized that while I may do a lot for others during my day, most of it is done grudgingly and with many a bitter thought or *sigh*. And as I mulled this over, I kept remembering that God loves a CHEERFUL giver. It is not what we do or give, but our attitude and the heart with which we give and do. It is the gentle smile and help offered to...

a 5 year old who is trying to clean up the spilled juice (for the 2nd time)
the 4 year old's missed trip to the bathroom (for the 3rd time)
the mess caused by the 2 year old just trying to help you make coffee
the baby who has cried all morning because he just wants to be held close by you.

It is not enough that each task is merely carried out in my day, but that each task is carried out with love. Because it is through my actions and reactions that these children will learn about how God loves, and I know that He doesn't sigh and pout because I haven't listened to Him again or had the same accident for the zillionth time. God loves...and he loves unconditionally over and over and over.

And I need to remember to do the same for my children. Cheerfully.

2 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Beautiful reminder! Needed to hear that!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, how easy it is to forget that part of God's desire: for us to give - CHEERFULLY. Thank you for reminding all of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home