Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

If at First You Don't Succeed...

A few years ago a wonderful friend lent me the book A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot. At the time, I briefly read through it (much too briefly), sat it aside, and thought "nope, too much like a schedule - I don't want that structure!". I think it was my undisciplined, childish spirit yearning to remain free and not be shackled down with such matters. I returned the book and let it go...

The last few months I have been overwhelmed with housework, childcare, homeschooling, and the commitments of marriage. I became desperate. Two weeks ago, after a particularly trying day, I ordered this book and made a commitment to giving this "rule" a concious, honest-to-goodness effort. Boy, what a shock!

First off, as the author explained her state of mind that led to her forming of her own rule, I could have sworn someone was talking about me! Exactly, well, except I only have 4 children and she has 5! This realization is what led me on to very slowly peruse the first "P" - prayer. I realize just how much I have let my relationship with God slip. Sure I go to Mass every Sunday and pray with the boys each day, but I have been letting my own personal relationship with God go. I know this is why I have developed such a "bad attitude" lately concerning my duties as wife, mother, and teacher.

So I am in week one of a new start - and it is hard. It is hard to break old habits in order to build virtue, but I am giving it my all! And I am confident that God will help me out the rest of the way! Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

I wish you much luck and many blessings. I think I am do for a rereading myself. I was encouraged towards further order and less laziness by the post on Elizabeth Foss' site about her Home Management Manual. This is stuff of the pros.

Lots of love!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck. I really liked that book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home