Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Moral Compass

I love watching each child develop. I find it fascinating to see each persons' personality come into its own. And I love watching them "get" that conscience. It really hits that this is not just a person, this is a soul I am raising.

With Brennan, his conscientious awareness seemed to grow day by day. He always had a special sense of empathy for those around him, and the sphere just kept getting bigger as to what he understood.

Then my dear Nicholas. The one who I from time to time wonder if he will ever "get it". The one who I lock into what seems a daily battle to pull him out of that egocentric world of the baby and into reality with the rest of us. Yet I have seen him grow by leaps and bounds in just the last few weeks. Each time an altercation occurs, he has been connecting the "good choices/bad choices" thing with something tangible to him - the Star Wars universe.

He summed it up perfectly in a conversation this morning. "Anakin was a good boy, but made bad choices and became Darth Vader. But then he changed and helped Luke Skywalker. That was a good choice. I need to make good choices like he did when he helped Luke. And if I make a bad choice, I can still change and make a good choice."

He may not be using the vernacular of "do what Jesus did", but he's got the general gist. It's a start. And a huge leap from where this guy was just a few months ago.

And who knew Star Wars could be so "Catholic" with this idea of one person's moral journey taking place over an entire lifetime? I never had thought about that before!

1 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger andria said...

Jacob just recently got into the whole Star Wars thing and he's into it big at the moment (currently counting the days until we can stand in line for Clone Wars) and it has reallyhelped him understand good/bad choices etc. as well. Who knew?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home