Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wal-le

The oldest three boys and I went to see this movie over the weekend. I had declared that with the price of movies, we would be waiting to see everything on DVD, but hearing so many good things about this movie peaked my interest too much. And I am the rather impatient sort.

It was worth seeing on the big screen. What those Pixar guys can accomplish with computers is incredible. The stories have solid values with clean humor (rare these days). Pixar movies are the only ones we have ever bought on DVD without even seeing the movie. Wal-le was no exception. As I am sure most have heard, it is a great lesson in the dangers of over consumption. Brennan was so bothered with the trashed Earth that he has picked up his room and made his bed all week long. Without prompting! See, this movie is already paying for itself.

But what really hit me was the secondary moral. The humans are so tuned into their computers that they are missing everything around them. They are missing nature. They are devoid of relationships. The sad part is that relationships and finding God in nature-this is what we are created for. It is nice that we can have nice TVS, video games, and the internet. I know that the blogosphere has made my stay-at-home, homeschooling lifestyle a little less isolating. Yet it is so easy to slip into the habit of making electronics more of a focus than the people in my life.

So Wal-le was a lesson I needed even more than the boys. We went to the park this morning. It would have been easy to say no. After all, it was 85 degrees with 95 % humidity at 9AM. I am behind in laundry and dishes (thanks to working on our family room floor). I honestly would have preferred to stay in my pjs. But with this movie fresh in my mind, we went anyway.

We saw the most beautiful dragonflies. We all sat on the big swing together. We played tag. I also learned that I am in abysmal shape! Agghh!

It was so worth it. So worth it that I am thankful that I paid way too much to see this movie. It was just what I needed to see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home