Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Rabbit Trail

I have been reading lately about the Charlotte Mason method of education. As I have learned just what it entails, I have realized that this is somewhat the method that I have always preferred. I especially love the "rabbit trails" of learning - basically, introduce them to a topic, but if they start to take it into a different direction (due to interest or just plain curiosity) just let them run with it. I find that this happens often, especially in science, social studies, or literature.

I had planned on completing three booklets of Science works for Kids this year. Our first one, Learning About the Earth, was due to be completed by Christmas. Yet because of these wonderful Rabbit Trails, we just finished it up yesterday. It was so worth the added adventure - we explored volcanoes, discussed the planets much more in depth than was otherwise planned, and continued rock collecting/examining much longer than our curriculum allowed for. It was great!

Today we began Learning About Plants. I wanted this to coincide with our garden planting, and the timing will work out beautifully. Since we had a premature beginning to our Pumpkin Plant experiment, I decided to start off today examining the few dried seeds that are left, the seedlings, and the plants that have more mature leaves - one even has a flower bud! As the boys were looking at the plants, Nicholas made a fascinating discovery - a curious red and black bug. We began watching it and the boys questioned as to what type of bug it was. We couldn't find it after a limited computer search, so we went back to watching the mystery bug at work.

While watching this bug, Brennan made another discovery - a snail, making its way ever so slowly across the garden. Excitement bubbled over, as the boys retrieved the hands lens in order to watch this fascinating creature up close. We watched it move in and out of its shell, move slowly over soil and grass, and even "eating?" some soil. Its antennae were interesting, feeling out its surroundings. If Philip moved suddenly near the snail, it would pull itself into the shell. Then, it would send out those feelers again, seeing if the coast was clear. We ended up watching him for about an hour.

After that, we came inside to find out what they eat - pumpkin plants were on the list! Yikes! Yet what a wonder filled afternoon we had, courtesy of mister snail. It wasn't quite the lesson I had planned today, but it was well worth the deviation. We thank God for giving us wondrous creatures such as this snail to explore.

And we thank God for the curious workings of the "Rabbit Trail".

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I do the same thing. I could plan for eons on what NEEDS to be done, but in the end, I follow Katie's lead.

That's why 3 weeks later, we are still studying dinosaurs intermittently. She loves it, and why should I force her to move on.

I love that you and the boys get to spend time just watching a snail. I'm sure Philip is learning lots from his big brothers. It is so much fun to watch them at this stage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home