Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, February 12, 2007

My Fairy Tale

Each morning, I read Fox News because I appreciate the way that they allow for both left and right sides of political arguments. It is also refreshing to see actual arguments versus catty "shrieking", which happens way too often in the world of political commentary. An article that caught my attention this morning was this article about the Anna Nicole tragedy, written by a rather left leaning blogger. And while I do not usually agree with what this particular writer has to say, I appreciate the actual attempt at debate.

Now I found myself in the unusual position that I could actually agree with this article about poor Anna Nicole. Well, almost. I actually agree that the poor young lady died tragically, and that it is a shame so many young girls actually look up to her as having a "fairy tale" life, with the money, physical beauty, and fame. However, I couldn't help but feel that this particular writer would instead have young girls look up to the new Harvard president (a first female in that occupation). I suspect that the writer might consider this president to have a "fairy tale" kind of life for these young girls to admire. And while she may be accomplished by others standards, I have to say that I don't particularly wish to have this president's life anymore than Anna Nicole's.

Don't get me wrong - she is accomplished. But as pointed out here by Feminine Genius, it seems that she is a part of that ever vocal minority that thinks many women who CHOOSE to give up professional careers to stay home and raise a family are wrong. She wants to offer financial incentives for women to stay in the workforce (as if it already isn't a financial incentive to have two incomes instead of one!). Her fairy tale seems to be that myth of "having it all".

Our family may go without some of the perks that others around us have. We may not live in a huge house with separate bedrooms for each child, drive a Lexus or BMW, and we may not wear top brand clothes. I may have days where frustrations and stress seem to multiply - doesn't everyone? But I believe that I am living my fairy tale life. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who provides well for us and thinks the world of me. I have 4 wonderful little boys who I am blessed to be able to teach, comfort, and care for 24 hours a day. It may be a lot of work, but it is definitely rewarding. And I see the gratitude in each face every single day.

This is what I always dreamed of doing. Sure I had teachers and friends who told me that I should be doing more, something more concrete, something utilizing my talents or my engineering degree. But the fact is that I am living out my fairy tale each and every day. And I am grateful, as I know so many women who desperately wish to be doing the same, but cannot because of financial hardships. So I thank God each day, that I get the opportunity to live out my dream, and I can pray that everyone may be able to say that they are doing the same!

3 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I briefly saw the news tonight and the story of the Harvard president.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. It is sad that the first half hour of the morning news shows were given to the death of Anna Nicole. What contribution did she make to society?? And her poor 5 month old infant. Just the fact that there are 4 men saying they are the father tells me something.

Then I read what you found about the new Harvard president and become thoroughly disappointed. I am a mom because I choose to raise my children rather than have them raised for me. After all I chose to have them, and they are truly a privilege and joy. I am a working mom: chef, driver, maid, teacher, doctor, gardener, and sometimes handywoman.

While I hope to make my difference for society in the future. Right now I know I am making a difference right here in the two little bodies I am raising.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Hey- Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I clicked on your link and will enjoy reading your thoughts. This post very much hits home for me, because in college a group of feminists tried to convince our women's psychology class that staying home with 'snot-nosed kids' all day was a waste of our womanhood. (I'm not necessarily critical of feminism in general. This particular group just had their own viewpoints.) Basically, they did leave me feeling like, "Wow. God did give me this good brain. Maybe I should be using it. And, maybe like they said, I should be a credit to my gender and work outside the home." This was absolutely the opposite of what I had wanted and dreamed of my whole life. I wanted lots of kids, and I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.

Well, to spare you my life story...The birth of my first child sealed the deal. I could never go back to work. I couldn't be happier. And, I have stopped feeling any of those negative thoughts about my personal decision. But, I do think in the back of my mind that it's sad that so many people still think of staying home as something society must have socialized us to believe women should do, something oppressive to women...which of course is the opposite of what I felt pressured to do in my life by these very people, so it's sort of convoluted.
Anyway, I guess I don't need society to give me a pat on the back for my choice to stay home. I have the many rewards my children give me every day. :)

Sorry for the rambling,

Jill

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

You said it so well Michele. Fairy tale indeed - I couldn't agree more.

And thanks for the wise words yesterday!

Thanks to for the Hershey Kiss plug - I think! They are so good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home