Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Friday, February 02, 2007

Confessions Continued...

I am one who likes to make food from scratch. After all, homemade food (versus processed) are cheaper, better for you, and much tastier. They also take a lot more time to prepare, something that is in short supply now a days.

With this in mind, I picked up a couple of items at the grocery store last week to be used when time was short. Last night, I looked up at the clock - it was 5:15 - dinner was not yet started. My husband had class, so he needed to eat on time, and I have vowed off of eating out. This was my moment!

I put frozen breaded chicken in the oven, mixed INSTANT mashed potatoes (a first!), steamed frozen broccoli, and made canned biscuits. Dinner was done rather quickly.

The real laugh came when we sat down to eat. My 4 year old (aka "picky eater") took one bite of the instant mashed potatoes and immediately asked for more. He commented that "it was yummy!". All of the boys ate well. It was then that I recalled a memory from my own childhood.

My Mom would make instant potatoes and I loved them. I dreaded her making real mashed potatoes. I remember her getting so frustrated, saying "but real ones are better!". I would insist that this was just not so. I now know that her frustration also probably stemmed from the fact that real ones are a lot more work, and she thought she was doing something nice by making them!

My dear 4 year old is so much like me when I was a child!

3 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

That hit home! How funny!

When we were little we loved the boxed macaroni and cheese so much better than the homemade and we alwyas complained. We never had instant potatoes or pudding though b/c my dad SWORE he could tell the difference!

Jacob and Nicole are the same - they will gobble up instant potatoes and boxed mac, but pick at the others.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

As a kid we loved Kraft mac and cheese too and refused to eat homemade...drove my dad nuts. But I was the opposite with mashed potatoes. My mom would serve instant to save herself time and I refused them...needed the lumps. My dad still makes fun of me over that and suggests to my mom that she whip up some instant potatoes when I come over.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I never had instant potatoes as a kid, so I have never really made them; however my hubby calls me the potato queen (I love them), but my kids won't touch them. I like you am trying to stay away from eating out and making more meals at home. Anytime you have simple recipes that are yummy and kid friendly please post!!!!!!! I could use some new ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home