Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Rest of the day

(I forgot two things about this morning - #1 baby was up rocking on all fours at one point down on the floor, how exciting for him! and #2 - while cleaning bathroom, 4 year old came in and helped clean mirrors with squeegie.)

I went and warmed up lunch - taquitos! - and also decided to warm up queso to go with it. Took it into 6 and 4 year old's room to eat where 6 year old was looking at a picture book and 4 year old was playing rescue heroes. Offer them some chips and queso. They also want water, so I bring it back for them and we set up a "picnic snack" in their room. 4 year old remembers he did not get a cookie after lunch (didn't eat his chicken) so I remind him to eat his chicken first. 4 year old gets his chicken and alternates between throwing a fit and "gagging" on chicken. We ignore him and 15 minutes later he has eaten chicken. I go get him cookie.

I build Lincoln log town with 6 and 4 year old for awhile and then realize that my window of opportunity for a shower is closing, so I go turn on shower water. I hear 2 year old waking up and head him off before he wakes up baby. 2 year old wants to play logs too, so I build him his own log house (so he won't knock over brothers) and hop in shower. 5 minutes later, 2 year old is in bathroom with pajamas off, wanting in shower too. I relent and put him in with me, finish showering and get him a towel. I get dressed and then load dishwasher. 2 year old follows me into kitchen and sits looking at a book. He then wants to play trains, so I follow him to his room and we set up his track again. 6 and 4 year olds join us.

2 year old climbs on toybox, tripping over his towel. I get him dressed and then go make some iced tea. 4 year old comes in crying because he wants 6 year olds toy - I tell him to wait until he is done. More crying a few minutes later - 6 year old pushed 4 year old, who was trying to take the toy anyway. Toy goes up.

We read a book "A Turkey for thanksgiving" (their request, yes it is the wrong time of year!). I go get a cup of tea. Hear fight from bedroom - 2 year old wants his special pillow that 6 year old is laying on. Tell 6 year old to give him pillow - he does. Baby wakes up.

Go get baby and walk towards kitchen. Clean up hairball cat left in family room. 2 year old asks for "happy baby trucks" book so we go to his room to get it. He looks at it while I play games on floor with baby (sing songs, pat a cake, up and down). Give baby toy and watch 6 and 4 year olds play. I ask them what they are doing - they say they are dentists. 6 year old is fixing teeth of baby doll. 4 year old is fixing teeth of three huge rubber dinosaurs. 2 year old realizes one of dinosaurs is his and takes it - fight ensues. Tell 4 year old to let him have that one dinosaur, which 2 year old takes and tucks into bed. He begins to read him a story.

Baby is getting fussy, so take him into another room to nurse. 6 and 4 year old follow, starting to loudly shoot laser guns at dinosaurs. Since cannot go outside (rain), suggest alternate activity, 3-2-1 Penguins video.

Nurse baby and realize that it is time to start dinner. Baby in high chair, boil rice and thaw chicken for stir fry in microwave. Cook Chicken and vegetables. Have older three pick toys up out of family room.

Everyone sit down to dinner. Just as we start, Dad makes it home and we all sit and eat. Everyone has cookies for dessert and 6 and 2 year old head off for shower. Everyone dresses in pajamas for bed. Three older boys play Star Wars legos in study with Dad while baby and I watch and talk.

Bedtime - Dad holds baby while I brush older 3 boys teeth and read to 2 year old, say prayers, and bed. Now I read to 6 and 4 year old, say prayers, bed. Take baby and go to master bedroom to nurse baby to sleep. Put dinner food away, fold clothes that were in basket and get them put away, type this post, and then I will turn in for the night, where hubby and I read, watch TV, or sit and talk. In bed about 11:30pm.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I love hearing about your day. Particularly the fighting amongst siblings, and wanting toys, and trying to get so much done while still enjoying the kids.

There are times I wonder if my kids are abnormal. I didn't fight with my brother - he was 8 years older. My kids go through spurts of fighting throughout the day.

It is great to read a blog that keeps things real and shows me that it is all part of a mother's day.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Doesn't it just seem some days that we go from one fire to the next?

BTW, I only get up so early to run because my baby (usually) sleeps through the night so I get a solid 6 or 7 hours. Trust me, a year ago, I slept until the last blessed minute I could!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home