Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Our First Valentine's Day

As my husband left for work this morning, I asked him if he would like anything special for dinner. His reply was "No, not really, but if you would like to have something that is fine". I chuckle, because while not romantic, this is truly "us". And I think back to our first Valentine's Day together, 12 years ago (is it really that long ago?).

I was 18, my husband 19 - we were really so young. We had met my first weekend up at Oklahoma State University. We had slowly became good friends (another story) and by November, had started dating (another story all together). As February rolled around, my good friend Kathy asked where Colin was taking me for Valentine's Day. "I don't know." I replied. "He hasn't said anything about it."

"Oh, he has something planned. Just wait." Kathy said. Yet as I came back from classes that February 14th, I hadn't heard a thing and Kathy said "well, then us girls will just go out to a movie tonight.". I agreed, but I must say that I was deeply disappointed - after all we had been going on dates for a few months and I was head over heels for him already. This was just the guy that I could envision marrying.

After talking to Kathy, I headed up to my dorm room and was reading a book when the phone rang at 4:00pm. Yep, it was Colin, and he asked if I was doing anything that night. I told him that the girls had talked of a movie, but nothing concrete, and so he said "well, I just thought that maybe we could go out to eat or something?". I replied "okay".

After heading back downstairs, I informed Kathy and she just smiled. "He had this planned all along." she said. (She knew Colin well, even back then!)

"Do you think so?" I asked, somewhat insecurely. "Absolutely" she replied.

At 6:30pm, Colin came to pick me up with a dozen roses. We went to a small restaurant called "The Gathering" on the outskirts of Stillwater, OK. Turns out, Colin didn't think to get reservations for Valentine's Day, and he didn't want to wait 45 minutes. So we drove several other places whose wait times were even longer. 40 minutes later, we ended up back at The Gathering to wait. We had a great time talking.

Once seated, we had the special - Chicken Cordon Bleu for Two. Each female was presented with a carnation, and a violinist walked around, serenading the couples. It was just lovely, and so romantic. I was very impressed. As we finished up our meal, Colin asked if I had enjoyed the night. "Oh yes!" I replied. I will never forget his response:

"Now, just don't expect this every Valentine's Day!".

Talk about turning on a romantic moment! I laugh now, because if you know Colin, this is him. He never played games, even at the beginning. What you see is what you get, and that is one of the things that I love about my husband.

Even so, our romantic evening was not yet over. We went back to my dorm to watch a movie. We caught the end of the late news, where they were discussing the multitude of marriage proposals that occur on Valentine's Day. With that, Colin got down on one knee, looked me straight in the eye and said "Michele, will you marry me?".

I was shocked - this was not at all what I expected! "Are you serious?" I asked. "Well, halfway" he said. My reply was "then, I halfway say yes.".

We then got into a deep discussion. We both felt that we would end up being married, but as we were a freshman and sophomore in college, both pursuing engineering degrees, we knew we had a long way to go. We also both felt that it was very likely that we would end up together, even that early on. I marvel at that now, as we were both so young. But I now see just how God has blessed us both, through good times and bad. I can chuckle at the past, knowing that it was just a step up to where we are today. And I look hopefully at our future together.

Truth be told, the next Valentine's Day found us together on the fifth floor of the school library, working on projects. How right he was with his seemingly unromantic comment, but you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. So that is why I can laugh at our lack of romantic plans for the evening, because that is us.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. Happy Valentine's Day, honey! I love you so much!

(And yes, we did trade gifts - he got his Hershey's kisses and I got a dozen BEAUTIFUL bright pink roses! Ahhh love!)

4 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Sweet story! Now, I'm going to rack my brain and see if I can even remember our first Valentine's Day. How's that for romance? ;)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

What a wonderful story, Michele. And I do know Colin. And, yes, that is him. He is a fantastic man, husband and father and we are blessed to have you guys as such dear friends.

Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Although you say it's a bit of a downer to be told not to expect this every Valentine's Day...actually, he is saying he plans to be with you for future Valentine's Days, and that truly is romantic.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Mom of boys said...

I couldn't agree more Michelle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home