Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm trying not to take it too personally, but...

Jonathan cries every time that I try to sing to him. He has from day 1. I love to sing, and while I know that I am not going to be winning American Idol any time soon (far from it!), I can at least carry a tune.

I am a bit self conscious in front of peers as a singer. I come from a family of very talented singers - my Mom, and both brothers - and I have always felt that I took a bit more after my Dad's side of the family than my Mom's when it came to vocal talent. So when I taught music at an elementary school, I was thrilled that I could finally sing to my heart's content. After all, as long as I was on melody what did little kids care?

Once I had my own children, my insecurity melted away and I would pound out tunes anywhere and everywhere with my boys. Brennan loved it as a baby. I would sing lullabies every nap and bedtime. Sometimes, I nearly went hoarse! Nicholas is also a singer, and we would both sing together. As long as it was the song that he wanted to sing, he happily formed the other half of my duet. Philip was a fussy baby, but you could count on singing to almost always calm him down.

And then Jonathan arrived. The first time I tried to settle him down to sleep with a lullaby, he cried fiercely. Whenever he was fussy and I tried to sing to him, the intensity of his cry would pick up. Even if he is happy and I start to sing, he grunts, concerned. Now, maybe he just doesn't particularly care for music, except that Nicholas or Philip singing doesn't seem to bother him at all. So I am losing out to my 2 and 4 year olds.

I think that I am becoming a bit self conscious again!

4 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

NONE of my kids like my singing. I'm constantly being told to quit that "noise." It's very insulting. I have fond memories of my mother singing...and she can't carry a tune. Sometimes, they may tolerate a lullaby. But it's my breaking into song over mundane things throughout the day that really irks them.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Margaret in Minnesota said...

I'm all with Michelle.

I have been told countless times to stop singing. Yes, I feel insulted! And yet, they ask for their favorite songs before bed and the older kids have started humming church tunes around the house!

The memory of a mom who sang is a GREAT gift to give our children. I'm convinced.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

Nicholas tells me "NO, Sing!" quite emphatically. He never has liked it. Katie would fall asleep to song after song. He loves music, just not from me.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Try Opera music. The other day I tried that and it caused my kids to burst out in a huge fit of laughter. They asked for it over and over again. I think they thought I was screaming. :) With my total lack of musical ability, I probably was.
That's cool that you taught elementary music. I'm guessing your voice is far more beautiful than you give yourself credit for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home