Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Somewhat Impromptu St. Nicholas Day

Being that St. Nicholas is the patron saint of both my husband and one of our sons, I had grand plans for quite the celebration. A special breakfast, a new paperback in each stocking, a St. Nicholas picture book, a stocking craft complete with "gold" (gold wrapped Hershey's kisses), santa shaped cookie baking, and a Mediteranean themed dinner. Ahh such plans....

Then I woke up this morning and glanced at the calendar. Now let me just say that I did realize that Dec. 6th was the feast day of St. Nicholas. What I did not realize until 6:30 am this morning was that TODAY was Dec. 6th! It snuck up on me, unprepared to carry out my plans. So the special breakfast was out. We did read about St. Nicholas out of our Picture Book of Saints and found modern day Turkey on our world map. We had to go run errands today anyway, so we stopped by the bookstore and let each boy pick his own paperback, plus we picked a book to donate to the toy drive. We picked up our bag of Hershey's kisses (had to settle for silver) and ended up grabbing lunch and eating at the park. After we came home, we put little ones down for a nap while the older two made their stockings to hold the "silver". Then we made our Santa cookies.

And now it is after 4pm and I am exhausted! The house is a mess. Yet we still have had a great day together, although I am thinking that we will not be having that Mediteranean themed dinner tonight after all!

Oh well! There is always next year! Happy St. Nicholas Day everyone!

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you could be my twin. I also knew that St. Nicholas' feast was on the 6th, and had grand intentions to celebrate for Nick's patron saint, but thought today was the 5th.

You still outrank me on getting part of you plans done though.

I got stuck at home waiting for the cable guys to come fix our tvs all day. By 4:30 it was cold, Nicholas was coughing with a cold and teething with a new molar coming in finally, and the hubby was out for the night. Can we celebrate tomorrow?? The kids don't know the date.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Mom of boys said...

Actually, several people had mentioned that I could have just celebrated it today and the kids wouldn't have known the difference!

Oh well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home