Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Eclectics are us

This weekend, I attended our Catholic Homeschoolers conference here in Houston. The key note speaker was none other than Laura Berquist. Wow! Talk about inspiring! It almost made me rethink our dismissal of the Classical method. Almost.

I agree with her principles and many of her goals. I even bought and attempted the Kindergarten lesson plans with Brennan last year. Attempted I say, because we made it through about 12 weeks. That's it.

Our problems seemed to be in every subject (well, almost). Math, I was using Horizons because I thought the Golden Step Ahead workbooks would be too lax. Looking at her curriculum down the road, I struggled with the notion that the kiddos would not have any Calculus in high school, much less the two years of it that I had received. And Science seemed weak. We were taking the 100 Easy Lessons book way faster than she had stated. I thought she went straight to Writing Road to Reading (I was wrong, BTW). And after the fourth week, Brennan cringed every time I told him that it was time to draw the Bible story. This from the kid who loves to draw.

So this year we went all Charlotte Masony, with a little of this, a little of that! Things went much better. We incorporated some of the Mater Amabilis curriculum (Science and Literature - the rest didn't work out). We kept with Horizons and took up Handwriting Without Tears. For Phonics, I finished out Little Stories For Little Folks - Brennan dislikes them too, however. Before you believe him not to be a reader, let me clarify. Brennan loves to read. He just loves to read what he deems interesting. Everyone keeps telling me to let him go at it. So I have. This month he has read : Titanic: Lost and Found, the entire Usbourne Time Traveler book, Magic Tree House:Revolutionary War, Amazing Sharks, Amelia Bedelia, and Birthday Ban in Munchkin Land. He is reading.

The dilema is that I feel rather crazy, bouncing around from curriculum to curriculum. And even though Elizabeth Foss's fabulous book tells me otherwise, I cannot help but feel I need a curriculum. Something to give me a general direction with the freedom to tweak here and there. As a result of my crazy search, I (think) I have made a decision to go with Sonlight next year. I worry a little about it not being Catholic, but hey, what better way to learn our faith than to see the differences between Catholic and Protestant beliefs.

Until I change my mind again next year! They'll just have to label us Eclectic, I guess!

2 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I do suggest the booklists for history for MODG (found at Emmanuel Books). I absolutely love every book we've done this year for 4th grade).

I too used to think the curriculum moved slowly...until I had three students. 3rd and 4th grade become very busy, and now the K-2 curriculum seems just right!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

I love eclectic, and that is the best part of homeschooling. A little of this a little of that. I like the classical curriculum, but I can't do just that. I love their philosophy on science, and the fact that I can use nothing but real living books from the library the first few years with a few purchased "spines". I also love Charlotte Mason, in case you haven't guessed. I do what works, and I have used a ton of Sonlight books. Most of them are fabulous, and Katie loves them. Some don't hold her interest, and we abandon them, such as Hero Tales. Too complex, too early in schooling. Seeing as we own or borrow from the library many of the Sonlight books, it works for us. If you ever need to borrow, see if we already own it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home