Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Friday, September 29, 2006

Tempering my "Home Improvement" Bone

Over at Suzanne Temple's blog, she has a great bit on home improvement dreams. As I started to comment on her blog, I realized that I had WAY too much to say on the subject, so I decided to link to it and post my bit here...

When my husband and I bought our current home, it was in great shape yet there were still some things about it that, while functional, were not exactly what we desired. Since we were in our specific price range, we decided to take the plunge and just slowly work on those things that we did not love.

Fast forward 7 years and 4 kids later, and we just have not done as much as we thought we would in this time frame. Mostly because, especially with kids, other things come up that are more pressing - and that is just fine. However, I do get a certain itch to finally dig in and start these projects (usually postpartum for some reason - hmmm). And we have accomplished some projects that we absolutely love - the tile in the kitchen, laundry, and eating areas, the boys rooms and bathroom, the new blinds and valances. Yet these successes just add to another desire to finish ALL of those other projects, some of which are not just a weekend job and will most likely be a bit costly (I'm thinking my kitchen cabinets and counters here...). Because then we can finally have the house of our dreams!

So that's where Suzanne's post comes in. I am so appreciative of her reminder that there are times to just sit back and be thankful for what you have now. To enjoy the moment instead of constantly thinking ahead to what might be. And to remember how we have been blessed compared to others in this world. There will always be that "next little project" that I would like to accomplish, but I think that the project I need to work on right now is the project within myself - that of contentment. After all, it is like Suzanne said "satisfaction is a choice"!

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Beautifully said, dear friend. I couldn't agree more!

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Herb Koguchi said...

As soon as we start with a project, even a small one, we tend to want to continue until ALL of those in our wishlist are done. It's a matter of momentum. We want to make the house feel more like it's ours. While there are problems that keep us from getting on to the next bigger project, we also feel a great sense of accomplishment whenever we finish something, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home