Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Book Recommendation

This morning, as part of our unit study on autumn, we read "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" by Leo Buscaglia. I love this book! It is about a leaf named Freddie who enjoys experiencing spring, summer, and finally the leaves changing colors in the fall. He becomes fearful however, when he sees the leaves falling down from the tree. A wise leaf named Daniel explains that there is nothing to fear from the unknown below and even talks about the purpose of life. It is such a beautiful way to introduce children to the idea of death. We have not yet had someone close to us die, but this would also be appropriate for a child who has recently lost a loved one. We have read this story each of the past 3 falls now, and it is my own gentle reminder of what my own job is in life and that some day, it too will come to a close, just like the life of Freddie the leaf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home