Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Right Way to Legislate

Fox News has another opinion today by a woman's rights author that I have linked to before. This article concerns a recent Supreme Court ruling that a lady filing a claim of pay discrimination had passed the statute of limitations governing the lawsuit. I link to this particular writer because she is one of the few liberals that I read who argues fairly (instead of merely using vulgarity and demeaning those who disagree). And while she pleads her case, I wholeheartedly disagree with her stance which she takes.

For starters, I do agree with the woman who is filing this particular case. It sounds as if she does make a convincing argument for discrimination because of her gender. She has worked the same hours and years, and completed the same job, yet receives only a fraction of the pay of every other man working at the factory. Now I believe that disparaties in gender income are often the results of choices a female makes freely (time off with family, no long hours) and so most cases the argument of income gaps between the sexes is silly. However, there are true cases of disparity, and this might be one of them. So the woman's case seems legit. However...

The current law states that the suit must be filed within a certain time frame. The agencies responsible for oversight may choose to overlook this, but ultimately the time frame is current law. Estrich argues that it was the Supreme Court's place to correct a faulty law. This is where I begin my disagreement with her. It IS NOT the Court's position to correct a bad law. It is the LEGISLATURE'S job to do so. Liberals have become so accustomed to having an oligarchy on the bench govern us that they are furious when it does not happen. And even though I agree this law must be changed (which it sounds like the Democratic Congress is looking into - Kudos to you guys on this one!), do not expect the court to do the Congress's job for them. IT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Period!

It amazes me how quickly liberal women are turning on Sandra Day O'Connor for leaving the bench. How dare she leave to be with her ill husband! Doesn't she realize that it is not family which is important, but the Women's Right Movement must come first and foremost in every female's heart! This attitude is exactly why more and more younger women cannot buy into the movement's illogic anymore and they are continually losing ground among my generation today.

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Well said!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home