Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Spilled Milk

It is amazing to me how volatile daily operations become with children. Breakfast this morning illustrates my point.

We were moving along swimmingly. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits as we ate. Nicholas and Philip were repeating a favorite banter back and forth (from our favorite Veggitales CD). Quite cute, even if I do say so myself. This prompted me to suggest playing the said CD. Cheers abounded.

And then, as I was placing the CD into the disc player, the morning altering event occurred. Nicholas spilled his full glass of milk. He immediately began shrieking "I'm wet!". This from the same child who 6 months ago would sit in wet pants and play rather than inconvenience himself with getting up and going to the bathroom? I told him "It's okay. We will get a towel.". And I proceeded to do just that.

I retrieved a rag and gave it to Nicholas to clean himself off with. I then noticed Jonathan happily splashing in the delightful puddle of milk on the floor. I instructed Nicholas to clean the floor when he was done with his shirt and scooped up Jonathan, took his shirt off, and placed him out of harm's (well the mess's) way in his highchair. This unleashed wild screams from the captured boy. I threw a handful of Cheerios onto his tray in a sorry attempt to pacify him (what, you don't throw food at your crying baby in order to quiet him?). Things settling back to normal.

Not yet. About that time I hear another crash and look up to see Brennan knock his cup of apple juice over onto the floor. He was attempting to come cheer up Jonathan and elbowed the cup that was perched precariously on the edge of the table. I go get yet another rag and hand it to Brennan to clean the mess. And then remind him to put it in the laundry. And then remind him to take the empty cup to the kitchen ("Which", I think to myself "if he had done after he ate would have prevented the mess in the first place!").

But now it is calm (a relative term around here anyway). Boys are listening to CD and contentedly playing on the floor. Sure there's now more laundry to be done and a floor that desperately needs mopping, but we are all cheerful. Good enough!

And now time for my little reward! I think I will make myself a second cafe mocha! Happy Boys...Chocolate...Coffee...Today is a really great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home