Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Yes, it was!

Yesterday was my birthday. Birthdays tend to lose their excitement the older you get. Not that I care too much about being one year older, but that the magic just doesn't seem to be there as it was when you are a child.

Birthdays in my family were huge. I would wake up, and Dad would always be the very first to kiss me on the cheek and start singing Happy Birthday to me, even if it was a little off tune. Dad is the morning person in our family. He would then make me a special pancake breakfast. Mom and Dad always had a balloon bouquet sent to me at school - nothing seemed to be so special than to receive flowers or balloons while in class!

Mom always made whatever I wanted for dinner. I remember one birthday in particular that I wanted Won Tons and Stir Fry - quite the preparation heavy meal! But Mom didn't say a word. Despite the fact that she had just completed a 12 hour shift as a nurse, she made my special meal for me. I have never forgotten that!

My birthdays are still joyous. But it is now time for me to serve my family in the way that my parents served me. It is my place now to make each of our family members birthdays' true celebrations, just as my parents once did. So yesterday, I set to work, even though it was my birthday that we were celebrating. We had a special dinner. We made cake (the one question the boys ask right after "who's birthday is next?" is "what will the cake be?").

And I truly loved every minute of it. I loved celebrating with my family. For me, now as an adult, that is more than excitement enough!

2 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kristen Laurence said...

Happy belated birthday to you! It sounds like your day spent serving others was every bit as special as being served as a child. Beautiful!

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

Happy belated birthday, Michele! Birthdays definitely change as you get older. You still get another year older, but the excitement and magic aren't there anymore. But I love how you made yours special by making it a special day for your family. Awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home