Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, March 26, 2007

Why I Homeschool

Michelle shared her very thoughtful reasons for homeschooling today, so I just thought that I would share mine as well. And my reasons are varied. There are many little reasons (well, some are not so little).

First, I think that a main reason for the boom in homeschooling today is the shifted focus in our school systems. Once upon a time, the primary goal of the early grades was the three R's - reading, writing, and arithmetic. This is just not the case today. Our schools have been mandated by special interest groups to teach everything else under the sun - drug and sex education, social engineering, and "how to take the latest and greatest standardized test" (after all, don't we want some accountability!). As a result, those ever important 3 R's have been relegated to the back burner. This started in the late 80's, and we are seeing the spawn of this today in our young adults.

Along those same lines, I dislike putting very small children in the situation that we are encouraging too much peer approval. I have had many tell me that it would be better if they were around their peers 40 hours a week, because they would be teased for unacceptable behaviors. They would therefore stop those said behaviors. While I acknowledge that peer pressure can be positive, to me, the ends do not justify the means. I know that I don't want then to succumb to peer pressure in the later years, when it is more likely to be a negative influence about much bigger issues than assuring my 6 year old can sit quietly in his seat. I would rather not set in my kids' minds that peer approval is an important yardstick of morality - what a dangerous precedent when it comes to drugs and other teen issues! I would much rather they gain a healthy respect for authority, and learn those ever important moral dilemas from parents who love them unconditionally and respect them as images of God. And yet while these are certainly very important factors, they are not our primary reasons for homeschooling.

I disliked school in the early grades because I found it boring. I thought the drill of items that I already had down cold was tedious and would have loved to move at my own pace. As a former classroom teacher, I realize that this is not practical with 30 kids at different levels, with varied learning styles. Every education expert will be quick to inform you that IEPs (Individual Educational Plans) are the ideal for all children, but just not practical. So they are saved for those who are lagging. Yet as a homeschooling mother with an ideal teacher to student ratio (momentarily 1:4), I can easily meet each child where he is at in any given subject and use a curriculum that is complementary to his learning style. This is a tremendous help to the "less motivated" pupil. While I see this as a definite plus for homeschooling, this also is still not my main reason.

My main reason can be summed up with just a few letters - ADHD. You see, I have that Wiggly Willy as my oldest child. Now let me clarify that I believe that this can be a true diagnosis of a learning disability, and if this is the case, medication can be extremely beneficial to the student. Yet as a former classroom teacher, I also found these initials to be a cure all, a scapegoat for many other things, not the least of which was a lack of discipline, a teacher, who was overwhelmed with her task at hand (lots of kids), and just plain (normally) immature childish behavior.

My oldest means well, but he has trouble sitting still for very long. He has to constantly be directed back to his work. He takes quite a bit of one on one time from me, the teacher, in order to push him to complete his work. In short, he would drive a classroom teacher (with 25 other kids) absolutely bananas! I don't blame her! She has a lot that is expected of her, and I know that my son would not be making it any easier! The school system would tell me that the only solution for my Kindergartner is medication. I am just not willing to accept that at age 5-6. I would like to have a few more years to see if it is really ADHD, or simply boyish immaturity. In a few years, I feel that we will know.

So, in the mean time, I will put forth the extra effort that is required on my part to encourage my son to blossom educationally. Without hard feelings, or the teasing of always being in trouble. And without drugs.

3 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

Wonderful insights, and I love hearing why you chose to homeschool. We are still deciding what to do next year. I finally feel that I definately want to homeschool another year, Mike always looks down the road and worries. He wants the best for his kids, and since we didn't grow up in a homeschool age, he feels unsure.

I feel we should take it one year at a time and see how things go. While I know my daughter does not have the Wiggly Willies, and would do well in a school classroom, I agree with many of your other reasons and have some of my own.

I'm sure every teacher, former and current, would think you are doing the best thing for your boys, especially Brennan. He gets to learn in a way that accomadates him, and the way he works best. Whether that is standing on top of a chair while doing math, or sitting on a mat to work on reading.

GREAT JOB MOM!!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger mom-in-training said...

Thanks for sharing, Michele. It really is hard to know if homeschooling is the right way to go and only you can determine what works best for your family. It sounds like you have thought it through and are doing exactly what you need to do for your kids. And with background in teaching, you have the experience to apply to teaching your own children.

I struggle all the time with the idea of homeschooling. Having absolutely no background in teaching and no experience whatsoever with homeschooling, it's a pretty scary concept. But just like you, I have a child who I really believe would benefit from a homeschooled environment and I know God has put it in my mind and heart to teach him. I think it's up to us as as parents to keep our focus on God's plan and no matter how afraid we are to commit to it, we have to trust that He'll give us what we need to be successful. At least, that is what I keep telling myself!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

This was such an insightful post and I am so glad you shared it!

I have the exact same issues with my oldest child (a 5 year old boy). For YEARS--since he was TWO YEARS OLD, for crying out loud!--we've been hearing (primarily from family members, which really hurts), "Oh, there's no doubt about it. Dylan has ADHD. You really need to do something about that". Well, my response has always been much the same as yours: How on earth can you possibly presume at this early age that his high level of energy and curiosity are not merely a healthy aspect of his personality?

This, too, is one of my primary reasons for wanting to homeschool, because I just know that if I were to send him to "regular" school, they'd be all about wanting to medicate him (I've heard as much from my dad, who is currently completing his final semester of student teaching for his degree in elementary education). I just feel that, like you said, as his mother I can provide the loving, one-on-one interaction and direction he needs to thrive. My son is such a bright boy and I know what an amazing capacity he has to learn, and how much he really ENJOYS learning.

Thank you for this excellent affirmation that homeschooling really IS a loving alternative to "throwing him to the wolves", so to speak. Sometimes I have doubts. Your words spoke straight to my heart and gave me much peace...thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home