Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, March 12, 2007

Smooth Sailing

We have had a few issues of late with our dear resident 2 year old while schooling. We have tried giving him his own activities, but he then wants to do them interactively with Brennan. Brennan is more than happy to nix his own work in order to help Philip, so I tried sitting one on one with Philip while Brennan was working his Phonics and Math drills. The issue then, is that Nicholas is still in the early enough stages that he needs a little more help. I have also tried putting Nicholas off a little later in the day, but no, Nicholas wants to do the work with everyone else. Round and round we go...

Yet this weekend, I read about Montessori mats somewhere on the web. I honestly cannot remember where I passed it at, but it basically entails getting a mat (or small blanket), having child set it up in same room and pick an activity to work on while on the mat. Not showing older brother what we are working on, not showing Mom, but working quietly and independently. I must admit that I had few expectations, but I thought that it was worth a shot!

WOW!!!! It worked beautifully! In fact, Brennan and Nicholas wanted to work on a "mat" as well! Once I got past my own anal "but they need to work at a desk with good posture", I set up three small blankets in our study. Brennan sat on his and completed his work in record time! Nicholas sat on his and worked on his letters and math manipulative. And Philip sat and worked for 40 minutes without so much as a peep! I showed him how we only get one activity at a time, and then pick it up and put it back on the shelf before starting a new one. He did this, working on three separate activities in the allotted time. I only had to remind him to stay on his blanket once. I also told the boys that I would go to each blanket and work with them, but if I was on someone else's blanket, they would have to be patient. We have not yet had such a smooth morning. And, dare say, I think we all had a little fun as well!

I know it may not be so picture perfect once the novelty wears off, but I will keep you updated! I am just so excited at the progress, at having a standard that I can keep. As long as I can remain steadfast, I believe we may just be turning a corner!

1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Good job! I read about it on Elizabeth Foss' site. I have been wanting to try it. Do keep us posted and add a couple of photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home