Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, January 08, 2007

Rejuvenated

Today is our first full day back to our complete schedule. Christmas break was wonderful, but (as so many others have already noted) it is comforting to get some sense of routine back. I awoke at 6 AM this morning and was able to have breakfast out before the first one was awake (well, except Jonathan, who happily sat in his high chair and watched!).

We went back to school lessons, which have evolved a bit since the beginnning of the year. Celeste had the great idea of updating, so I will as well! We are still doing the Modern Curriculum Press Phonics in the morning, as well as reading practice (Catholic Heritage Curricula Little Folks readers for Brennan and 100 Easy Lessons for Nicholas). We then draw - everyone's favorite - in our journals either a free idea or one from Usbourne's Playtime I Can Draw People.

After a break, Brennan works on his Horizons Math (I agree with Celeste - LOVE IT!), and complete Religion, which we are doing the Who Am I series 3 days a week and then reading out of the Golden Children's Bible for the other day. I find with the Golden Bible that I have to paraphrase in some places as it is detail oriented, but the boys LOVE the pictures and frankly enjoy detail when it has to do with battle.

We then use paint, play-doh, chalks, or collage materials to make a picture OR if I have one that fits we do a really cool craft. Sometimes painting will be whatever they want. Other times I give them a starting idea or we discuss and use a card from Mommy It's A Renoir. Science is the Scienceworks for Kids series done before dinner - Basically we read the suggested books, discuss the info in the guide, complete any worksheets applicable to the lesson (not one every day) and do experiments when suggested (we keep this very informal, just like reading a book).

Social Studies - Let me say that I have not been totally satisifed with what I have seen so far in terms of social studies curriculum. So I am currently in the process of putting my own together, mostly for next year. Let me say I LOVE History, Geography, Map Skills, Economics, all that this area entails. I find that it is extremely important to have a firm grasp of the knowledge in this area, yet most adults do not. I also think that textbooks and worksheets are dry, dry, dry and absolutely not necessary in this subject (much like most early science). When I finish pulling together next years, I will probably post it. (It will be first grade according to Texas's Grade 1 TEKS). As far as this year goes:

GEORGE WASHINGTON
- we have read Du Laire's George Washington, found Virginia on a USA map and colored in the Rappahanock and Potomac rivers.
-We have set up a model of Mount Vernon (with our Playmobile farm) and talked about the chores that would have to be done (reading a few different At The Farm books from the Library). I also showed Brennan my pics of Mount Vernon taken on vacation.
-We have practiced "surveying" (mapping out) our backyard and recording what we found.
-We read a book I had from my childhood on Indians of Virgina.
-After discussing how Washington became the first president, we talked about who is president today?

SAM HOUSTON
-we read Sam Houston: An American Hero and found Texas and Tennessee on the USA map.
-Showed pics of the Alamo
-Took boys to Battleship Texas at San Jacinto battleground

GENERAL
-we read Paul Revere's Ride and colored an American flag. We will learn the pledge of allegiance this month.
-we also point out on the world or USA map any place that we read about in our books. The boys love to stand at the map and see how many states they can name correctly. We try to use directional words to introduce them to north, south, east,west (Which state is north of Texas?).
-we will get more into economics this semester by starting Brennan with an allowance and teaching him simple budgeting (spend, tithe, save).

Whew! This ended up being longer than I meant it to be! Just wanted to share all of the social studies stuff, because I am a firm believer that activities and GOOD picture books are the way to go!

Happy new school semester, everyone!

3 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Great to hear what you are doing! I love that each child is different, each famil is different and each curriculum is different!! I love it!!!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I live right here next door to Mount Vernon. We don't go there as often as we should.

Have you seen the If You... series of books? There is one called If You Lived at the Time of George Washington... They might be in your library. Good stuff.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Crafty Mom said...

Great job Michele!! I love hearing everyone's ideas. I've gone with the same approach for social studies and science. I do a semi version of unit studies. I pick a theme that is relevant to the date and time of year, needs to be covered according to curriculum, and then get lots of library books and other resources from my stash. Makes learning more fun!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home