Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, December 18, 2006

Our Christmas Tree


I don't know about you, but as a girl I always loved decorating the Christmas tree. I looked forward to the trips to the store each year for new ornaments and tinsel. And each year, as I argued with my Mom and brothers over what would make the perfect addition to the tree, I dreamed of what it would be like to get a tree decorated just the way that I wanted it.

Here we are today, and I find ornaments like this


on my Christmas tree. I have to say that this is definitely not the tree that I envisioned those many years ago. As I look at the varied assortment of Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Buzz Lightyear, and Spiderman ornaments that now grace my tree, I think back to the first year that we were married when I picked a Snoopy dressed as Santa ornament - that was more the direction I saw our tree going - pretty plaid bows and festive holiday themed ornaments. Not action heroes shooting at each other through the branches (who thought that such a sight was in keeping with the spirit of the season, anyway!).

But the boys (my husband included) love these ornaments, and they definitely make a statement about our family. In fact, the above pictured ornament was actually a gift to my husband when I was pregnant with Brennan. As I looked at this ornament, I quickly decided the perfect place for it - the back of the tree (I know, I know - how horrible!). My husband was deeply offended and I grudgingly moved it to a "more prominent place on the tree" (per his request).

Yet as I gave in to this request, I quickly realized that this is not my tree in my house. This was our tree in our house. I realized how unfair and selfish I had been in attempting to impose my desires without taking into account my husband's wishes (and now my boys too). As the years have passed, I have tried to consider this account as I make household decorating decisions. It is in this spirit that our front bathroom was recently redone not in the lavender and green flowers that I really wanted, but in blue with baseball themed towels. I admit that now I love it!

And I love our tree too. It may not be the tree I originally dreamed of, but it is the perfect tree for our family, and so it is the perfect tree for me after all.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I never thought I would live in a house with Green Bay Packer ornaments on the tree...but I do! Ah, yes, just another thing to share.

And our bedroom is a bit on the masculine side - with a picture of Gen. Patton on one wall (above a valet that holds my husband's uniform) and a collection of various French and Prussian cavalrymen prints. There are flowers on the shower curtain at least!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home