Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tantrums

Thanks for the post today Celeste! What a great topic!

Especially public tantrums. No matter how seasoned a mother, tantrums shoot to the top of the list of what will drive any normally mild-mannered mom into insanity in an instant. Yesterday at our Homeschool group field day, I just about had a tantrum of my own to match my 4 year old's that he was having.

He was tired. We had a busy week already, and then yesterday hit it into overdrive. We had field day at 3pm, with the 4 year old's t-ball game at 6pm. Why any Mom would think that all of this activity is acceptable for such a young child is beyond me, but I think that I just wanted him to follow through with his commitments to his baseball team and participate in the once a year field day (in addition to letting the 6 year old join in the fun). Bad idea, I know.

Nevertheless, I attempted it. I also reaped the consequences last night. Halfway through field day, Nicholas lost it. He was pushing, screaming, slapping at me. I growled at him under baited breath. I held on to his arm tight so that he would have to stay with me. And I felt utterly humiliated as I imagined how others thought "what a horrible child" (Of course, I just assume this is what they were all thinking).

We ended up skipping the t-ball game (which was cancelled anyhow - Yea!) and went home to settle down. After my own cool down and Nicholas's own talk with Dad, everything was fine. I realized of course that my own flaring temper definitely did not help the situation. I also know that it is my own pride which leads to my inappropriate reactions to these public tantrums. I am so worried about everyone else looking at me with the "Tut, tut BAD MOTHER!" eyes that I completely overreact to the child's public display. I become a child myself.

Time to fess up, and try better next time. I just need to let go of these nagging assumptions that everyone is judging me. Because chances are, they probably are not. And even if they are, so what! I cannot let what other's might think of me interfere with me being the Mom that my kids need me to be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home