Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Thinking back...

Today, I am in Lawton, OK with the kids while visiting my family. Today I will go to my brother Philip's "new" house. It will be exciting as he (okay, my sister-in-law) shows us the new paint colors and how each room will become their own. I love the excitement and anticipation of someone moving into a new home. But this will be a little surreal, because this home is not all that "new" to me. For the previous 42 years, this had been Grandma's home.

It has been 13 months since I lost my grandma, who was a third parent to us growing up. She taught me so much, from sewing, how to clean (at least she tried - she was so patient with me!), and how to be there for family. Grandma was the one who picked us up, in that rust brown Buick, when Mom and Dad were late getting off work. Grandma was the one who always had a great breakfast on the table when you awoke, to having a wonderful dinner there in the evening. Everyone who comments about how I can make gravy, well that is thanks to Grandma. Grandma was the one who always listened with understanding, yet would bluntly let you know just what she thought, whether it was what you wanted to hear or not. And she was nearly always right!

I know that she is in a better place, as she was physically suffering at the end and I know it is great that she no longer has to endure that. But it still seems "off" to be back in Lawton, and know that I cannot spend late evenings reminiscing with Grandma. She always had a story to tell, even that last afternoon I spent with her just 15 short months ago. We still love her, and I miss her.

But it is time for new memories to be made in that house. I am thankful that it is still "in the family". My nephews and niece will continue to fill it with laughter and joy. I am excited to see where these new adventures will take our family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home