Queen of the Castle

My daily thoughts are shared with you so that the boys will no longer see me walking around the house talking to myself!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What I am grateful for...

There is a great discussion on Danielle Bean's website concerning gratitude. As I started to ponder what I am grateful for, it hit me. I am grateful for yesterday.

For Labor Day, we decided to take the boys out to see the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument. We thought that the oldest two boys were probably old enough to appreciate this. Little did we know that the 3 oldest boys would have a great time.

All three loved to see so many guns! An old battleship is a boys dream - everywhere you go there is a new gun! On the Battleship Texas you can actually sit on the gun seats and move them around, much to the delight of the boys! They were also fascinated to see so many places that were familiar to them - a dining area, kitchen, beds, and a barber shop! The engine room was my 4 year old's favorite, although my 5 year old wasn't as sure about climbing down into such a dark place with all of the gears. My 23 month old loved watching the other boats and barges passing by on the Houston Ship Channel. Our 3 month old slept through most of it, which is saying a lot since he was draped over my arm the entire time (no strollers can fit up and down those narrow stairways). I am amazed that they had about 1600 people on board back in the days of operation. It reminded me of all that some men and women endure in order to insure our own freedom and safety. That is one thing that I am grateful for - our country. Because of the sacrifices of others, I am able to live in freedom, security, and opportunity that others in the world cannot fathom!

As we headed home, we passed several large oil refineries - the ones that I had the opportunity to work at when were first married (I am trained as a chemical engineer). I thought about how different our lives might be had I taken one of those jobs instead of teaching in private school before children. How we might not be on a tight budget. How we could afford and probably would be sending the boys to our parish school. How I would miss the time spent with the boys and abhor the hustle and bustle that our life would entail. So I am grateful for the opportunity to stay at home and homeschool the boys - to get to see them grow up a little more each day.

My thoughts then turned to my wonderful husband, who sacrifices so many of his own desires in order that I may stay home with the boys. I am so grateful, more than he will ever know, for him. My husband doesn't complain when dinner is late or is leftovers. He doesn't complain when the house is a mess and I am too exhausted to pick up. He has been so supportive of homeschooling the boys. He is a great role model for them, and I pray that each of them will have the faith of their Dad. He has provided so well for us, and I am afraid that because I complain at times he may not realize how appreciative I truly am.

Yep, I tend to complain - way too much! So most of all, I am grateful that God never gives up on me and continues to show me how much He has given me that I need to be grateful for!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home